Changing your enrolment
If you need to change to a different course or semester start, you will need to contact us before your course start date. Requests for changes to your enrolment need to be in writing.

Your enrolment cannot be transferred to another person as it is a legal contract between NCNZ and you as the student.

If you have any questions about changing your enrolment email, call us on 0800 759 0218 or get in touch through our Contact Us form.

Change of name
We need to have your full legal name in our records to comply with Ministry of Education requirements and ensure we issue your qualifications in your full legal name.

If you change your name after you enrol with us you need to let us know. We will also need a verified copy of the document that supports your name change before we can update our records. For information on changing your name the New Zealand Government outlines this process on their website.

Change of address or contact details
If you change your address or any other contact details let us know as soon as possible. This can be done by calling 0800 759 0218 or emailing

Moving overseas
If you were living in New Zealand when you enrolled but move overseas, you must let us know as soon as possible, as there will be implications for your study.

If you move overseas and your course has a final examination you will need to contact our Enroments Administrator by emailing