DF / GF / SF / makes two small serving bowls
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Oil for frying
- 2 Shallots finely diced (or one small Onion)
- 2 cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 small Apple, peeled and diced
- 300 grams organic, free range chicken liver (patted dry and trimmed of stringy bits)
- 2 teaspoons dried Thyme
- 2 pinches Sea Salt
- 12 grinds fresh Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Brandy
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil, to seal (optional)
Heat the first measure of oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and apple and sautée until becoming translucent (3-5mins).
Add the garlic and thyme and continue to cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until apple is softened.
Pour contents of the pan into a blender, including all the cooking oil and juices.
Add a little more oil to the pan if necessary. Put the prepared livers into the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook for a few minutes on each side.
Add the 2 tablespoons of brandy to the livers and simmer until most liquid has evaporated, but a thick sauce remains. This should only take 2 or 3 minutes.
Add the liver to the other mixture in the blender and blitz until completely smooth. Pour into two small serving bowls.
If you wish to create a seal over the pâté, gently melt 1/4C of coconut oil (or butter, if dairy is tolerated) in a pot. Set aside for 5-10 minutes so that the oil isn’t burning hot, before pouring over the pâté in the bowls to create a seal.
Cover and place in the fridge for at least an hour to set.